MOUNT COOK DEFENCE RESERVE
- ARTICLE -
- 1840's-1960's -Defence Reserve.
in Mount Cook, Wellington , New Zealand.
© Darcy Waters 1999
Mount Cook in Wellington - while not as high as neighbouring Mount Victoria provides a commanding view over the Te Aro area.
Back in the early 19th century Mount Cook was higher than it is today. The summit was lowered about the 1840's when barracks for the 65th Regiment of Foot were built on the hill top and in 1847 the Wellington Powder Magazine was built on the eastern side of the hill. Also a military stores department was established in 1856.
1870 was the beginning of a decade that was to see dramatic
changes to the skyline of Mount Cook. That year the Imperial Troops
left and their barracks were used as temporary quarters for immigrants.
In 1877 the military property on Mount Cook increased with land on the north side of Buckle Street added for use for an artillery drill shed. This shed got built either late 1870 or during 1880.
The Chamber of commerce was complaining about explosives being carted through the town's busy streets en-route to the Magazine on Mount Cook. So a new magazine was to be built with the work starting in 1879 at Kaiwarra (lower Ngaio Gorge) and was completed the following year.
Before the Boer War the front wing of the prison building became the Defence Headquarters.
As the military entered the 20th century . The Army was occupying all of the old Prison Building and the military's presence was still growing with the establishment of a sergeant Armourer and two assistants at Mount Cook in 1902 and at the end of the Boer War the Artificers and Armourers returned to improved conditions. Also by 1907 approval was given for construction of workshops for the Armourers.
new drill hall was needed. So on the 1st of June 1907 the foundation
stone for the new hall was laid. The new hall was located on the
north corner of Buckle Street and Taranaki Street. It's basement
contained among other rooms three 25 yard firing ranges. During
the 1913 Maritime strike the hall was used as a dormitory with people
sleeping on straw
Sometime during the 1920's two muzzle-loading guns were shifted from Pipitea Point to Mount Cook. They were used as a saluting battery. This battery was later relocated to Point Jerningham where they used 25pdr guns.
The convicts from the Terrace Gaol (today's Te Aro school) worked at the brick works on Mount Cook (today's High School sports field) and they were producing bricks up until about 1920. Among the buildings built with these bricks were the Mount Cook Police Station and the Drill Hall.
now the military occupied a considerable area on mount Cook and
its presence was at it's peak. And yet the Ordnance workshops still
had dirt floors. And the former gunpowder magazine was being used
as an artillery training shed.
The 1920's saw the beginning of a decline of military presence which has continued through to the present day.  The only exception was during World War 2.
Defence Headquarters shifted from the Alexander barracks to the Defence Stores building late in the 1920's. This was to free the Alexander barracks up to be demolished to make way for a new spacious building to house the Dominion Museum and Art Gallery. The Evening Post newspaper took photos of the demolition in progress and these photos were dated March 1931.
In 1929 although the Public Works Department submitted plans for new workshops at Trentham as early as 1921 GHQ decided that the staff of the workshops should shift the buildings across to Trentham themselves. This shift of the Ordnance workshops was undertaken in 1930.
1930's saw more changes. The Defence Headquarters was shifted across
to Featherston Street to occupy the old New Zealand Railways Headquarters
building (NZR shifted to the new railway station where they are
still - although now known as Transrail). And Headquarters of the
Central Military District (HQ CMD) was shifted from Palmerston North
to Mount Cook.
World War 2 a combined forces headquarters was set up on Mount Cook.
The Dominion Museum building was taken over for use by this headquarters
which was altered and a camp erected in it's grounds. Also air-raid
shelter tunnels were driven within Mount Cook
Darcy Waters 2000
© copyright Darcy Waters 1999-2003